Rsync synchronization problem

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon May 14 11:26:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is probably not related to the problems described in
this thread, but I'd like to give a generic warning about
the use of rsync.

As long as things are fine, rsync runs very well.  But as
soon as there's some error situation, it might start
running havoc.  For example, I had situations where the
destination file system was full (or out of inodes), and
rsync started to mirror files at completely different
positions, filling a shared bin directory with random
files from users' homes and even device nodes.  In another
case there was a permission problem on one directory, which
caused rsync to ignore random files (but not all of them)
in a completely different directory (which did have the
correct permissions).

It seems that rsync's error handling is very bad, and if
an error occurs, serious bugs start to appear.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "rsync considered harmful",
but when you use rsync, make sure that you always have
sufficient space on the target file file system, and that
no other errors occur.  Always check for errors.  If
something goes wrong, make sure that all files are still
where they belong (or delete everything and start from
scratch).

Personally I try to avoid rsync when possible.  The FreeBSD
FTP tree consists mostly of compressed binary files that
don't benefit from the rsync algorithm anyway.

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV, of course.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson