mail-archives, logo-contest list not 'archived'

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri May 13 07:10:35 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:48:51AM +0200, Mark Huizer wrote:
> Hi, it seems that the logo-contest mailinglist is not configured for
> 'archiving' like many of the others (that is: split weekly, compressed,
> but in 2005 directory, etc).

True; it is merely "archived" as messages to postmaster at freebsd.org are,
in a rather informal catenation.

> Since this file is now over 200Mb, is it possible to fix that oversight?

Well, by changing the "list" from a mere alias to a full-fledged
Mailman-managed mailing list, I suppose it could be done.  Or someone
could research and try to figure out how to accomplish the desired form
of archiving without making it a Mailman-managed list, at least in
principle.  Using Mailman to manage a "list" that has one archive and 2
(other) recipients seems like overkill, though.

> (The same holds for aic7xxx, but that is a lot smaller)

The existence of that list predates my tenure as postmaster; I had no
involvement in its creation.  It does have the attribute of being a
mailman-managed list, though (and was a majordomo-managed list prior to
the conversion).

Peace,
david   (current hat: postmaster at freebsd.org)

David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Any given sequence of letters is a misspelling of a great many English words.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.