Just curious - cvsup mirror connect rate?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:31:48 PDT 2004

I'm just curious what people typically see for connect rates to the
main cvsup mirrors.

I've got one server here that's desperately in need of more memory
but it typically services around 2500 connections a day.  Another
cvsup server I've got access to at another site services roughly
the same number per day.

The reason I'm asking is I'm cleaning up some servers that vaporized
on us.  I've started to take over a dead server's name on a large
server here for at least a day before I turn it over to a new volunteer
site because of the inevitable slamming that happens when a new server
takes over for one that had been down for a while.  I've done this
a couple times now and despite the initial load once things settle
down a bit I've been seeing the same typical number - on average
around 2500 connects a day.

Until now...  I just took over cvsup5 for a bit because it had been
down.  In less than 6 hours it's serviced about 11,000 connects.  And
I'm not seeing tons of "Tree comp failure..." messages, the huge majority
are reporting success.  It's been pegged at the 30 connect limit ever
since I made the DNS change almost 6 hours ago...

So, just kind of wondering what people normally see as average traffic
for a day.  If cvsupd has been running all the time your machine has
been up simply taking the current connect number it's allocating and
dividing by the number of days it's been up is close enough. :-)
I'm kind of wondering if the number of hits you get is a function
of what cvsupN number you get - when people first set themselves
up they start at cvsup1 and go up until they find one that doesn't
say its full and then set up their cron job to use that one... :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |