freebsd 5.3-release and some observations

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Nov 17 16:53:10 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 09:31:40AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >No, they're tied to the release.  Often most packages will work, but
> >not all, and not always.  The point of keeping package sets for the
> >releases are because they've undergone QA during the release, and
> >users know they'll always work.  Note that the release trees are
> >static, so they're a once-only download.
>
> yes, and that's a good current goal.  i just wanted to raise the idea
> on whether this continues into the future (e.g FreeBSD6).
> >
> >In theory, you can always prioritise your updates so that e.g. i386 is
> >always synced when it changes, but ia64 is not synced more than once a
> >month.  I don't know how easy this would be to do automatically on the
> >mirror end, or if more infrastructure support would be needed, but
> >that's out of my area.
>
> ideally this is achieved by not rebuilding some of the architectures at
> the same rate and then it's automatic, you don't update and i won't have
> to fetch :-)
>
> yes, this is a good idea and something that i imagine a number of us
> have been doing informally - i will work to try to codify this into
> the mirror documentation so people know.  i suspect i386 weekly and
> everything else monthly would work.

That would impose policy upon the mirror operators who may want to
sync immediately (because bandwidth is not a concern for them), and
upon the users, since they may want to have access to new packages
more than once a month (in particular, amd64 is rapidly gaining in
ascendance, and sparc64 is also fairly popular).

If you want to have a less frequent update policy, you can just choose
one locally to suit your limitations and users can use a different
mirror if they want something better (e.g. the main ftp site).

Kris