What about a mirror site that is only locally accessible?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sun Nov 7 07:43:36 PST 2004

Hi folks,

nz.freebsd.org is planning on moving to a location that is accessible
only locally.  That is, unless you're in NZ, you won't be able to get
to the NZ mirrors at all. This change aims to reduce the cost
incurred by the host providers.  The downside is: anyone outside NZ
will be unable to verify that the services are still running.

Any feelings on this?

To add more complexity, we're also considering moving the mirrors to
a peering network so that unless your NZ ISP is peering with WIX
(Wellington Internet Exchange), you won't be able to get to the
mirrors.  The reason: lowered cost.

Basically, if we don't do this, we lose our free hosting.  So it's
pretty much a given that this is going to happen.  I'm just putting
it out here so that it's all out in the open.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/