packages-5.X-current & sysinstall

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Wed Aug 4 05:58:35 PDT 2004

Hi there,

A fellow admin reported to me, and I verified, that sysinstall
cannot install packages from the FTP mirrors in 5.x-current,
where x > 0, without manual tweaking:

+---------------- User Confirmation Requested ----------------+
| Warning:  Can't find the `5.2-CURRENT' distribution on this |
| FTP server.  You may need to visit a different server for   |
| the release you are trying to fetch or go to the Options    |
| menu and to set the release name to explicitly match what's |
| available on ftp.freebsd.org (or set to "any").             |
| Would you like to select another FTP server?                |
|                    [ Yes ]         No                       |

The problem stems from the fact that there is no such subdirectory
as packages-5.[12...]-current in ports/<arch> on the ftp sites; only
packages-5.0-current is there.  IMHO there should be symlinks for
packages-5.[12...]-current to packages-5.0-current as long as the
packages are shared among all 5.X-CURRENT systems, shouldn't they?
Personally, I feel that the symlink solution would be more natural
than hardcoding sysinstall to use `packages-5.0-current' if the
system is 5.X-CURRENT.

--
Yar