Change in layout?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Sep 10 21:03:31 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:14:49AM -0300, Joo Carlos Mendes Lus wrote:

>     Wouldn't this make those who download entire release dir to get
> almost 5G?  And also, in these times when we donwload ISO images, is
> this a problem?

Yes, the releases/ directory will grow dramatically in size.  But I
figured almost every mirror site would fall into one of two categories:

	1) They download the packages, so this is not a big change
	   because all it does is change where the files land.
	2) They currently don't download the packages, just the releases/
	   directory.  This set of folks are most likely using a
	   hand-written rsync or have had experience tweaking cvsup so
	   they just need to adapt that slightly.  But I could definitely
	   be wrong in this regard... :-/

As for "these times", that suggested "Release Guide" we discussed a
long time ago did result in some discussions with re at .  I don't know
if it will work out in the end but it's at least possible some of what
we discussed will be done.  Part of what we discussed was having the
package sets posted several days before the rest of the release bits.
If that happens it should help minimize the problem we'd have with
ISO images, etc. because hopefully the package files would have
propagated out before the ISO's show up.  We'll see... :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |