FTP Site List for 4.9 release

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Sep 2 06:44:30 PDT 2003

I have built a list of FTP sites from a variety of "sources" (so far
a DNS scan combined with what I've been able to find on ftp-master
as far as site records go).  I'm relatively sure a fair chunk of the
site contact info I have is ... stale.  So...

If you are an Official FreeBSD Mirror Site and plan to carry the
upcoming FreeBSD-4.9 release please reply to this straight to me (NOT
a global reply).  The information I would like to collect is:

  FreeBSD name:
  Real site name:
  Site Contact(s): [*REAL* email address, who would send mirror-admin email]
  Public Contact(s): [*may* go on Web site like cvsup maintainer does now]
  Content: [ISO's/release files/packages]
  Access Methods: [FTP/rsync/cvsup/http]
  Upstream Host: [where you feed from]
  Sync Mechanism: [how you download - cvsup/rsync/omi/mirror/etc]

For a fictional site this would be:

  FreeBSD name: ftp20.us.freebsd.org
  Real site name: coggsworth.cse.buffalo.edu
  Site Contact(s): kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  Public Contact(s): hostmaster at cse.buffalo.edu
  Content: everything
  Access Methods: ftp/rsync
  Upstream Host: ftp-master.us.freebsd.org
  Sync Mechanism: rsync

I'll do my best to merge the information collected this way with what
I collected through other ways.  If you send me email describing your
site and the contact info is radically different from what I collected
from existing information I *might* have more questions for you.  The
information collected will be used for a variety of projects I've mentioned
I wanted to do - mapping out the current "tiering" structure, generating
an authoritative list of the mirror sites, the beginnings of that
announce-only email list for all of the mirror sites to be on, etc.

Since I'm hoping to get a fairly large number of replies to this I'll
say "Thanks in advance".  I probably won't be able to reply to everyone
who responds saying Thanks...

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu