4.9-RC1 (i386) available on ftp-master

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Oct 1 04:55:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Murray Stokely wrote:

> > do the announcement.  If you expect the majority of the mirror sites to
> > have it then you should never make the announcement less than 24 hours
> > after posting the bits to ftp-master.
>
> No, I do not have that expectation.  A single FTP site is fine for the
> announcement of an RC.  Only for a full release is it necessary to
> wait for a good number of the mirror sites to have it before making
> the announcement.  Of course, I WISH we had such a high demand for the
> release candidates that we needed our full mirror infrastructure to
> cope, but that just isn't anywhere near the case.

that needs to be communicated to mirrors (well, it has been now!) and
if possible another 'exclusion' tree needs to be added so that mirrors
don't attempt to sync release candidate {iso,release,package} trees
which wastes bandwidth and disk space on their and ftp-master's end.

as ken has pointed out there are lots of mirrors that just try to
grab everything and it's not smart for them to do so blindly.

i'd also look at excluding RCs, Alphas and Beta releases from the
archival system ken - comments ?

regards,

-jason