4.9-RC1 (i386) available on ftp-master

Murray Stokely murray at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 1 01:49:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:19:01AM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> Since it contained a complete package set it will take anywhere from
> eight to twelve hours for ftp-master.us.freebsd.org alone to transfer
> the whole thing.  Because of the way cvsup works sites syncing with
> It's up to you but I'd shoot for more like 24 hours for the announcement
> because of the impact the packages will have.  If the future betas don't
> include full package sets 12 hours might be possible if your expectations
> are that only some of the mirror sites have the bits at the point you

The complete package set was posted 24 hours before the RC1 release
bits.  The release candidates need to be pushed out quickly.  It
defeats the purpose to wait until they are distributed to all the
mirrors before sending an announcement.  That is not the model we need
for release candidates.  For RCs we need quick distribution.
Previously we just put them up immediately on one FTP server
(releng4.freebsd.org) and that worked fine.

> do the announcement.  If you expect the majority of the mirror sites to
> have it then you should never make the announcement less than 24 hours
> after posting the bits to ftp-master.

No, I do not have that expectation.  A single FTP site is fine for the
announcement of an RC.  Only for a full release is it necessary to
wait for a good number of the mirror sites to have it before making
the announcement.  Of course, I WISH we had such a high demand for the
release candidates that we needed our full mirror infrastructure to
cope, but that just isn't anywhere near the case.

	     - Murray