annoucing 5.1-beta

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun May 11 07:25:03 PDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Scott Long wrote:
> > I just did a spot check of ftp[0-6].freebsd.org and all have the i386
> > 5.1-BETA bits.  Since i386 is the most popular platform and sparc64
> > and alpha are waiting to be finished, I'm going to go ahead and
> > announce 5.1-BETA.  If anyone objects, please let me know in the next
> > hour.  Also, Murray made a request for this cycle to make these types
> > of annoucement wider, including posting them to freebsd-annouce.  How
> > do others feel about this?
>
> No objections on either point from here.

>From my perspective, the 5.1-BETA announcement gives us a chance to do two
things: (a) highlight the spiffy new features, and (b) lower expectations
for the release ("next milestone on the path to a production 5-STABLE
branch").  Both serve a useful function--I'm not opposed to the notion of
this going out to -announce, assuming it comes with the "lots of debugging
enabled" performance caveat.  I have some feeling that we actually need
two announce lists, -announce and -devannounce or the like, but since we
don't have that, I guess -announce is the place.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories