Mirror Site Form Letter

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Thu Jun 26 07:57:17 PDT 2003

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2003 at 10:36, Ken Smith wrote:
>

>>Can you please comment (to me) on the following?  Is it appropriate?
>>Did I miss anything?  I am also interested in how well it can be read
>>and understood by people whose first language is not English.  Is
>>this too "American" in how things are said?  Should things be phrased
>>a bit differently so they are better understood by a wider variety
>>of people?
>

> One thing to keep in mind is that a mirror can be fine for the
> purpose intended yet not meet the published recommend requirements.
>
> nz.freebsd.org has never met the minimum requirements.  But it meets
> the need of that much smaller market.  .nz has fewer people than many
> cities.

     Likewise, ftp.br.freebsd.org carries only i386 binaries, and full
packages only the latest stable release.  The first "problem" is not
intended to be addressed soon, unless there is enough requirements from
brasilian users for other arquitectures (amd64 and ia64, maybe).  The
second problem is being addressed right now, collecting funds to buy a
new disk.

                                         Jonny

João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny at jonny.eng.br
--
"the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized