DRAFT - DNS Admin Guide

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Tue Jun 24 23:11:04 PDT 2003

Hi,

Ken Smith wrote on Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:19:41PM -0400:
[..]
> I thought the things they would need to handle are things like:
>
> 	- Please add "ftp13.freebsd.org" [where that doesn't exist
> 	  yet]
> 	- ftp3.freebsd.org stopped carrying FreeBSD (and now the Admin
> 	  there is no longer answering anyone's email)

Hmmm, the not TLD-divided namespace is/should be part of
discussion anyway. I think there have already been some
suggestions to regorganise it (put the US mirrors under
us.freebsd.org, select most responsive set of worldwide
mirrors to populate ftpX.freebsd.org, etc).

> For those cases having a registered contact for that site is either
> premature (first case) or useless (second case).  In the first case
> who decides whether a new mirror site is warranted?  It seems like
> that leaves those kinds of decisions in the hands of dnsadm at .  In
> the second case who has the authority to "revoke" ftp3.freebsd.org
> from the site that stopped carrying FreeBSD and shift it to something
> else?
[..]
> Could you give some examples of the sorts of questions/email/whatever
> that you want the system we design to take care of?
[..]

Handling delegation for country code subdomains. This is requested
every once in a while, and it's more crucial, because it can affect
many sites and many services. Not only an authorization mechanism
(like PGP) needs to be established, but also guidelines for
mirror/service operators of that zone how to select and authorize
their responsible zone admin, who can issue requests for changes
in the delegation (or ask for delegation in the first place, if
the subdomain does not exist, yet).

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                    - All your .sigs are belong to us -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/