DRAFT - DNS Admin Guide

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jun 24 18:19:43 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:54:07AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> The idea in my mind is to create "name vs email" table to identify
> who is authoritative of this DNS name.  Like:
>
> ftp-master.FreeBSD.org		peter at FreeBSD.org
> 				kuriyama at FreeBSD.org
> cvsup-master.FreeBSD.org	kuriyama at FreeBSD.org
> ftp.FreeBSD.org			foo at example.net
> 				bar at example.com
> ftp2.FreeBSD.org		blah at example.org
>
> and, create a collection of PGP public keys of above contactee.
>
> If we can prepare this table, dnsadm@ can easily identify the signed
> request is authorized or not.

I'm not understanding the kinds of questions dnsadm@ needs to handle
then.

I thought the things they would need to handle are things like:

	- Please add "ftp13.freebsd.org" [where that doesn't exist
	  yet]
	- ftp3.freebsd.org stopped carrying FreeBSD (and now the Admin
	  there is no longer answering anyone's email)

For those cases having a registered contact for that site is either
premature (first case) or useless (second case).  In the first case
who decides whether a new mirror site is warranted?  It seems like
that leaves those kinds of decisions in the hands of dnsadm at .  In
the second case who has the authority to "revoke" ftp3.freebsd.org
from the site that stopped carrying FreeBSD and shift it to something
else?

Could you give some examples of the sorts of questions/email/whatever
that you want the system we design to take care of?

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |