The recent thread... handling new releases

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:17:19 PDT 2003

At 5:18 PM -0400 6/12/03, Ken Smith wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 12, 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>  I have wondered if cvsup could be smart enough to download files
>>  under one name, and then afterwards (on a later run) know to just
>  > rename that file to the official name for a public release.
>
>...  I have learned that the transfer mechanisms in use amongst
>the mirrors varies widely, not all use cvsup.  As far as I can
>tell there is nothing that could do this in rsync for example,
>I already know a bit more about rsync than cvsup.

You just need some automatic way to do it for any transfer
mechanism.  Eg,

    1) rsync (or otherwise copy) some small directory which has
       the meta-info on moving files around.
    2) locally process the information found in that directory.
    3) rsync (or otherwise copy) the larger repositories.

(the above is easy for any "pull" strategy, at least.  Doing it
via a "push" strategy might take a bit more thought)

I just mentioned cvsup because that's what I'm using, so I want
this to all happen automagically with the cvsup-mirror port.  :-)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu