The recent thread... handling new releases

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jun 12 12:00:05 PDT 2003

At 2:02 PM -0400 6/12/03, Ken Smith wrote:

>For now I'd like to learn how to crawl before I attempt walking.
>I'll be drafting a "Please handle releases <this> way" ...
>
>I'm not sure if it's something that should be done but seeing
>if the mirror system does handle the staged releases properly
>(meaning the -RELEASE stuff doesn't become publically
>downloadable from anywhere before the Release Date) should
>probably be thought about.

I have wondered if cvsup could be smart enough to download files
under one name, and then afterwards (on a later run) know to just
rename that file to the official name for a public release.
Eg, some way to say

     if file .IMAGE001 exists
     and if the bytesize is 123456789
     and if the MD5 of it is f4f4acfc8322c267618f93c52d465e4c
     then rename .IMAGE001
              to 5.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
     endif
     <repeat for other images>

     Proceed with standard cvsup processing.

This would at least reduce the exposure from people who say
"A FILE EXISTS, THE RELEASE *MUST* HAVE HAPPENED!!!!", usually
at the first millisecond that any official-looking filename
appears on any ftp server.

This would probably have to be based on some special control
file that cvsup would download (where the name of that file
would be set in the cvsup config file).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu