[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jun 10 15:58:21 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:36:57PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> I may be stepping on toes here, but what about just taking control?

I made the offer of helping to Scott Long because he was the one who
seemed to step up with the pre-Release-Time upload of the stuff with
permissions closed down, which is the first step needed for any of
this stuff to work.  I don't mind taking control but doing that right
requires access to more than can just be taken - some of it needs to
be given.  Using the ISC example again, adding in a new mirror like
that requires DNS modifications, they need to be granted access to
ftp-master, etc.  I'm capable of that (been a sys-admin for quite a
while :-) but I don't have the access required.  And giving that
kind of access is nothing to be taken lightly.  I might really be
capable of all that but I also might be Bill Gates plotting the
downfall of FreeBSD and giving me that kind of access would make
it possible.  I'm not sure what to do about that, most of the
activities I could engage myself in to help gain that kind of trust
have nothing to do with the mirror system...  I'm not even a blessed
first-tier mirror, I'm just a lurker who carries FreeBSD along with
a bunch of other stuff (some of which I am an official mirror for,
I'm on the mirror lists for Mandrake, RedHat, and OpenBSD amongst
a few other things).

> Is this too naive a viewpoint?

Well, slightly but I suppose it's a start. :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |