[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jun 10 09:24:13 PDT 2003

Ken Smith wrote:
 > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:48:46PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > How about some kind of a "push model"?
 >
 > One disadvantage other than the design/implementation work is load
 > on the source.  Isn't ftp-master suffering a little bit even now?
 > What happens if all of the first-tier servers are told to do updates
 > at the same time?

Good point.

On the other hand -- When someone from the RE team posts
a message to hubs@ like "5.1 for i386 available now!",
I guess many people will start their sync jobs immediately.
That's already some kind of "push".  So there's the same
load situation, except everyone has started the thing
manually, instead of having it initiated automatically.

 > The cron job based updates at least have the advantage of "naturally"
 > spreading the load on ftp-master out over time a little bit I would
 > think.  My cron jobs running in the wee hours of the morning run at
 > a different time than the cron jobs running in the wee hours of the
 > morning in Australia.  :-)

Well, those cron jobs are a different thing.  I have
divided my FTP mirror into things which change often (such
as distfiles, -stable and -current packages), and things
which are transferred once and then never change again
(e.g. releases, packages for releases).  I only have cron
jobs for those things that change often, but not for the
others.  After all, why should I sync 5.1-RELEASE over and
over again, once it is there?

That "push model" would be applied only to the latter, e.g.
for releases (and betas, and RCs) and the accompanying
package sets.

If the load is really a serious problem, then the "push"
notifications can be sent out with a certain delay between
them.  I'm sure it can be done.

Regards
   Oliver

"Der Einsatz von MS-Mailsystemen ist sehr erfolgreich, aber
leider vor allem bei der Verbreitung von Viren wie Melissa,
Papa oder explore.zip.  Dies ist durchaus auch in der
Architektur dieser Software begruendet."  (unbekannt)