[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Tue Jun 10 07:07:37 PDT 2003

Hi,

Oliver Fromme wrote on Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:48:46PM +0200:
[..]
> How about some kind of a "push model"?  That is, whenever
> data on ftp-master has been updated (the upload has finished),
> a notification of some kind is sent.  It could be a specially
> formatted e-mail message sent out to a list, which can be
> parsed automatically by scripts.  It contains the pathname(s)
> of the part(s) of the FTP tree that have been updated, so the
> scripts can decide if and what to sync from ftp-master.
>
> Just an idea.  I guess there's already some read-made software
> for that.
>
> Another possibility would be to, say, update information on a
> web page, which is also automatically parsable.  It would
> still require polling the web page regularly, but I guess
> that's much less overhead than cvsup, so it can be done more
> often.
[..]

I participate in several push mechanisms. The best current practice
I know of uses ssh (v2) keys, which can be used to trigger just the
update skript. Data can be piped through the ssh call, but is not needed,
since the ssh call could trigger the fetching of a webpage with the data.

I believe this method is reasonable secure (also due to the
manifold of constraints, that could be placed in the authorized_keys
file) and offers most flexibility as well as simplicity.

If something like this should be established, I will gladly
help.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - Me transfere sursum, Caledoni -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/