[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

Cejka Rudolf cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Jun 10 06:31:14 PDT 2003

Ken Smith wrote (2003/06/10):
> > ftp-all				same as FreeBSD-archive
> > ftp-CERT			FreeBSD/CERT/*
>
> Those all sound great, I've needed to sub-divide the rsync's myself

Because of big memory needs or because of what?
Memory is not such a big problem for cvsup.

It seems to me that it is more about updating policy (when update
and what - it would need short cvsup runs with releases/packages
before checking cvsupped source trees...), than about prepared cvsup
collections. Anybody can do similar splitting by use of
-i flag/refuse file with cvsup, but everything needs maintenance,
including cvsup collections.

> May I add the suggestion of publicizing somewhere(s) exactly when the
> ports get updated?  If it's a routine weekly thing and more or less
> always predictable putting that in a FAQ somewhere so that the mirror
> sites only hammer on ftp-master for ports shortly after they were
> supposed to change you might lower the load on ftp-master.

I think that most critical is situation, when there are updated files
on ftp-master and everybody wants to mirror them, so we do not need to
solve situation, when anybody runs cvsup when there is nothing new for
him. (???)

> It seems like the ports updates are a roughly weekly thing but
> I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that.

Maybe starts can be known, but how to know, when these uploads end?

> someone else with more rsync experience than me say whether having a
> module that does this can be configured to work?  I could be mistaken

I'm not sure, if I understand correctly, but do you know about exclude
option in rsyncd.conf directly in module specification?

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology