It's time for 5.1-R bits

Garrett Wollman wollman at lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jun 5 16:20:43 PDT 2003

<<On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:31:37 -0600, Scott Long <scottl at freebsd.org> said:

> 1.  Distributing to the mirrors.  The easiest approach seems to be
> to use a permission setting of 0660 on the files and 0770 on the
> directories.  However, this will exclude the second-tier mirrors
> that mirror off of others using anonymous access.  What should be
> done about this?

This works for me.  If there are any second-tier mirrors, they'll just
have to wait like everyone else.

> 2.  Granting anonymous access.  If I publish an exact time, will
> everyone be able to tweak their mirrors by hand?  If not, will
> rsync'ing the permission change be fast enough and not eat up too
> much bandwidth?

No and yes.  My mirror job runs every six hours.

> 3.  BitTorrent.  I personally like this idea.  We only need a few
> mirrors to act as seeds.  Once the release happens and people start
> using these seeds, they'll become seeds themselves and the load will
> quickly flatten out.  However, it's up to you guys.

I really have no interest in this.  SFS would be much more
interesting, although I'm not willing to have NFS on my servers which
is required for sfsd.

-GAWollman