It's time for 5.1-R bits

Olafur Osvaldsson oli at isnic.is
Thu Jun 5 11:57:14 PDT 2003

Scott,

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003, Scott Long wrote:

> 1.  Distributing to the mirrors.  The easiest approach seems to be
> to use a permission setting of 0660 on the files and 0770 on the
> directories.  However, this will exclude the second-tier mirrors
> that mirror off of others using anonymous access.  What should be
> done about this?

770 for the dirs is enaugh, that way it is impossible to list the
dirs so changing the files should not be neccesary.

> 2.  Granting anonymous access.  If I publish an exact time, will
> everyone be able to tweak their mirrors by hand?  If not, will
> rsync'ing the permission change be fast enough and not eat up too
> much bandwidth?

Secondary mirrors should not be using anonymous access to begin with,
if someone is providing access for those he should use a seperate rsync
process with different permissions.

> 3.  BitTorrent.  I personally like this idea.  We only need a few
> mirrors to act as seeds.  Once the release happens and people start
> using these seeds, they'll become seeds themselves and the load will
> quickly flatten out.  However, it's up to you guys.

I don't know anything about BitTorrent but I don't think it is wise to
be doing this with such short notice, probably is better to wait untill
this release is behind us.

/Oli

--
Olafur Osvaldsson