Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis jonny at jonny.eng.br
Tue Jul 29 13:18:09 PDT 2003

Somebody told me that jason andrade said:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, [ISO-8859-1] João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
> Hi Jonny,
>
> >      Just notice that geographic distribution is not always equivalent
> > to topological distribution.  For example, in South America is much
> > faster to go anywhere in USA or Europe than another South America
> > country.  Sometime time ago it was even true for different providers in
>
> [...]
>
> >      On the other hand, Brazil has probably lots of free outgoing
> > bandwidth to other countries, and a primary mirror here would not be a
> > very bad idea.  No, I'm not candidating, I don't have the resources.   :-(
>
> I'd like to add $0.02 here.  When i did some research for a paper presented
> by a couple of my collegues for network topology and drivers in the asia
> pacific region one of the observations was there are two trends that develop
> for networking.
>
>  o a 'region' or even country might have all its bandwidth routed via the
>    US - which is great if you work for a US telco but less so for the
>    people buying the links - in general non US sites have to pay for 100%
>    of the cost of the international link.. to send bytes to or via the US.
>
>  o as 'content' and in particular localized content becomes available then
>    there is a push towards a concept of 'local' peering as this starts
>    making economic sense.  this happens faster when internet penetration
>    increases in 'local' areas as clusters of users start wanting to do
>    things where latency starts being an issue.
>
> The corollory to this is the dramatic reduction in a lot of places of
> international bandwidth which is encouraging (in the short term) the
> use of international pipes rather than local ones.

    It's happening here inside Brazil, but I think there's little
interest in other SA countries around here.  Even direct links to
Europe are smaller than I think they should be today.

> So right now it might be that one south american country can talk to
> another only via the US but i would predict this is less likely 1-2 or
> 5 years from now and it will be better to plan for having a south
> american 'tier1/primary' in the future to sync from.

    As I said in my first email, I think it may be good to have a
tier1 TODAY in Brazil.  We just have to know if there's somebody with
the necessary resources...  I don't!  (matrix.com.br, where are you?)

					Jonny

João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny at jonny.eng.br
  Networking Engineer			jonny at coe.ufrj.br