Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Tue Jul 29 00:00:46 PDT 2003

Geoff Rehmet wrote:
> - Some thought should be taken towards ensuring that there is at least
> 	one primary mirror in each geographic region (probably on each
> 	continent). -- It is enough of a problem with the delays in
> 	syning, due to the high latency all the way from ftp-master.
> 	(Remember that in South Africa, we are dealing with at least
> 	250ms, or more - up to 600ms - RTT to ftp-master, which seems
> 	to affect cvsup quite adversely.  By having at least one
> 	primary mirror in country, that allows other mirrors in the
> 	country to get the bits quicker.

     Just notice that geographic distribution is not always equivalent
to topological distribution.  For example, in South America is much
faster to go anywhere in USA or Europe than another South America
country.  Sometime time ago it was even true for different providers in
the same country, I not sure this is not a problem anymore.

     Even inside Brazil we have similar problems.  Depending on where
you are and where you want to go, it may be faster to go outside Brazil
and get another copy.

     On the other hand, Brazil has probably lots of free outgoing
bandwidth to other countries, and a primary mirror here would not be a
very bad idea.  No, I'm not candidating, I don't have the resources.   :-(

                                         Jonny

João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny at jonny.eng.br
--
"the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized