Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Sun Jul 27 13:39:50 PDT 2003

Ken Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:08:31PM -0300, Joo Carlos Mendes Lus wrote:
>

>>>Requirements for Secondary Mirror Sites
>>>---------------------------------------
>>>
>>>1) Simply carry all files needed for latest Production Release, which
>>>  includes the packages for that release.  Note this means the packages
>>>  in the -release directory for this release, not necessarily the package
>>>  set that gets built on a roughly weekly basis.  Using FreeBSD 4.8
>>>  for the i386 architecture as an example this means carrying:
>>>
>>>	releases/i386/4.8-RELEASE/
>>>	releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.8/
>>>	ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/
>>>
>>>2) Syncs at least once a day from a Distribution Site or a Primary Mirror
>>>  Site.
>>>3) Will be given a "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org" name.
>>
>>    Did you forgot the part about possibly not carrying all
>>architectures, or is it intentional?  And isn't once a day too much for
>>something that generally do not changes after beeing released?
>

> Sorry, as you say I didn't make that clear.  It should read you need
> to "Carry all files needed for latest Production Release for at least
> one architecture, which ..."
>

>>    Also, did you mean to put and end to ftp.CC.freebsd.org?  Or maybe
>>turning it into a Round Robin of the other ftpX.CC.freebsd.org sites?
>

> No, it's hard to give a generic enough name but "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org"
> would include the case where "X" is "".  If the Zone Admins want to set
> up the Round Robin thing that's fine - it would be up to them to decide
> and implement.  :-)

     This is not only a choice.  This would have implications in release
engineering.  A user must not see diferent stuff when going back to the
same "site".  If all sites in the RR are primary, it's ok, but if they
are secondary, they could not carry the same set.

                                         Jonny

João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny at jonny.eng.br
--
"the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized