Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sun Jul 27 13:18:20 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:08:31PM -0300, Joo Carlos Mendes Lus wrote:

> >Requirements for Secondary Mirror Sites
> >---------------------------------------
> >
> >1) Simply carry all files needed for latest Production Release, which
> >   includes the packages for that release.  Note this means the packages
> >   in the -release directory for this release, not necessarily the package
> >   set that gets built on a roughly weekly basis.  Using FreeBSD 4.8
> >   for the i386 architecture as an example this means carrying:
> >
> >	releases/i386/4.8-RELEASE/
> >	releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.8/
> >	ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/
> >
> >2) Syncs at least once a day from a Distribution Site or a Primary Mirror
> >   Site.
> >3) Will be given a "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org" name.
>
>     Did you forgot the part about possibly not carrying all
> architectures, or is it intentional?  And isn't once a day too much for
> something that generally do not changes after beeing released?

Sorry, as you say I didn't make that clear.  It should read you need
to "Carry all files needed for latest Production Release for at least
one architecture, which ..."

>     Also, did you mean to put and end to ftp.CC.freebsd.org?  Or maybe
> turning it into a Round Robin of the other ftpX.CC.freebsd.org sites?

No, it's hard to give a generic enough name but "ftpX.CC.freebsd.org"
would include the case where "X" is "".  If the Zone Admins want to set
up the Round Robin thing that's fine - it would be up to them to decide
and implement.  :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu