Mirror Site Requirements...

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jul 26 12:28:38 PDT 2003

<<On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:58:51 +0200, Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> said:

> It seems to me that it would lead to needless complitations.
> I think that it would be better to state, that Tier-1 sites have
> all and Tier-2 sites have anything, what site operators say
> themselves

Sorry to come into this discussion rather late, but I've been ignoring
my FreeBSD mail for the past few weeks in the vain hope of actually
getting some work done.

I think any organization needs to recognize that different mirror
operators and different locations will have different priorities for
architecture support.  A few months ago, I decided to stop carrying
Alpha ports -- which are of nearly nonexistent value -- in order to
free up disk space for other platforms that are of greater interest.
For the moment, ftp5 still carries Alpha releases and I hope to
continue to do so, but there's still only 100 Meg of disk for the time
being.  (I just put in a wish for more storage space so that this is
less of an issue for ftp5.)

-GAWollman