Mirror Requirements - Last question?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Fri Jul 18 12:43:13 PDT 2003

On 2003.07.18 14:18:25 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:53:47PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Where do the "other" mirrors fit in?  Some mirrors don't even cover
> > the full production release.  Just bin/floppies/tools etc.
>
> Just my opinion, open to suggestions...

How about making some kind of list of what each mirror carry?  Not on
file level, but the major parts.  E.g. a mirror can carry : stable i386
ISO images, stable release i386 packages, current/new tech amd64
packages and so on.

It could be partially automated by a scripts that checks the content on
the mirrors.  E.g. redhat uses something like this:
http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html .

The sysinstall mirrors list could the generated from this mirror list.

Just an idea, which might be overkill, but since it seems very hard to
define what non-full mirrors should carry this might be a way to solve
handle it.

--
Simon L. Nielsen