Mirror Site Requirements...

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Wed Jul 16 07:00:52 PDT 2003

Rudolf Cejka wrote:
> Daniel C. Sobral wrote (2003/07/16):
>
>>OTOH, we'd better do a consultation to find out how many mirrors won't
>>be able to keep up with the standards we set upon, because if lose too
>>many mirrors, maybe it's better to rethink the standards.
>

> I hope the goal is not to reduce the number of mirrors. The goal would
> be just to have clearer core of mirrors, which are sufficiently reliable
> and which have everything. The others would stay, as they are, however
> it should be documented, what they have and what they have not. ???

I don't think the goal _should_ be either of these options. I'd like for
the goal to be define operating standards maximizing the ease with which
users can download FreeBSD, be it ISOs, net installs, or whatever.

As I see, there are two main requirements to reach that goal.

1) That users can find mirrors with good bandwidth and low latency. So
we need many mirrors, and they must presented to the user in a way that
makes it easy for him to try the ones most likely to serve him well. The
per-country naming system is certainly part of that. Good support and
low requirements for mirrors would improve the number of mirrors.

2) That, once selecting a mirror, the user find what he expects there.

This second requirement is the one thing we really miss. We have no
standards, and no way to inform the user what he is likely to find in a
mirror without him going there and checking it out.

Another part of this requirement is a distribution system that gets the
release out in a timely manner. And, by timely, that means quick enough
not to upset RE schedule, and in such a way that decreases the chance of
the first mirrors replicating it getting overloaded by untimely leaks.

So, for instance, we may decide that ftp*.tier2.*.freebsd.org must have
the package set for the latest release, and users *know* they'll find
that there. And that might get some mirrors out of "tier 2". There may
be something to allowing mirrors even if they do not meet those
standards. Say, for instance, that we change our names to
ftp*.tier1.cc.freebsd.org, ftp*.tier2.cc.freebsd.org and
ftp*.other.cc.freebsd.org, list everything on sysinstall but advise the
user of what standards are set for each.

Well, anyway... that's my 2 cents on the subject. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br

Outros:
	dcs at newsguy.com
	dcs at freebsd.org
	capo at notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

When we jumped into Sicily, the units became separated, and I couldn't find
anyone.  Eventually I stumbled across two colonels, a major, three captains,
two lieutenants, and one rifleman, and we secured the bridge.  Never in the
history of war have so few been led by so many.
		-- General James Gavin