cvsupd : TreeComp failed: Network write failure: Connection closed

John Polstra jdp at polstra.com
Sun Jul 13 11:17:54 PDT 2003

In article <3F0EABA5.18694.1A30CE3E at localhost>,
Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:
> I am seeing this message frequently in /var/log/cvsupd.log on
> cvsup.nz.freebsd.org but I don't know what it causing it:
>
> Jun 14 00:10:10 cvsup cvsupd[60286]: +801 user at example.org
> [SNAP_16_1e/17.0]
> Jun 14 00:24:44 cvsup cvsupd[60286]: =801 [2968Kin+1243Kout] src-
> all/cvs
> cvsup cvsupd[60286]: -801 [2968Kin+1243Kout] TreeComp failed: Network
> write failure: Connection closed
>
> It does not occur on all client connections, but regularly enough for
> me to be concerned.  Any ideas?

If the user kills his cvsup run, either with the GUI's "stop" button
or with ^C, this is often what you'll see in the server logs.

I have also seen this when there are network problems.  It can
sometimes be fixed on the client side by lowering the MTU.  I have
seen it especially often in Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Asia.
I think it has something to do with lame DSL ISPs who think it's OK to
break path MTU discovery by filtering ICMP messages.

John
--
  John Polstra
  "Two buttocks cannot avoid friction."                     -- Malawi saying