Where to go from here

Rudolf Cejka cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Jul 1 10:35:09 PDT 2003

Ken Smith wrote (2003/06/19):
> There hasn't been much time for Cejka's comments to settle in.  But
> IMO his comments are not something that should be passed on to re@ and
> portmgr at .  They should be passed on to the Mirror System
> Coordinator(s) because I think they all address things that the
> re@/portmgr@ folks won't feel they should be involved in.

It was meant mainly as a question to re@ and ftp-master folks - whether
they are interested in things I proposed, or not. Then we can think about
real realization (= re@ and ftp-master folks will be the users of proposed
system), or we can forget it (there are not any possible users).

> they're the users of that box but they'd prefer it if they did
> not need to know how it works or tinker around in it.

They do not need to know the internals - they just can run some
commands with informational output, like if they can upload new
things, or they would rather wait some time until previous datas
are distributed. So at first, my proposals really need the express
from re@ and ftp-master folks, if they would like to use proposed
things.

> the only issue IMO would be getting enough sites to buy
> in at the Tier-1 level and I have no idea right now
> if that's easy or hard.  Hopefully it's easy. :-)

If there would be a problem with small starting number of mirror
sites, we can call new class of mirrors Tier-0 and Tier-1/Tier-2
leave as they are (aren't). However, I still would prefer some
policy, so that ftp-master is not overloaded in any case.

--

> Does anyone (Cejka in particular :-) see a problem with that?

Wow :o) Problem is solved - I have found option realname in mutt,
so that I'm allowed to switch the order of my names to the correct
order... :o)

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology