Requirements Final Draft Attempt #2 :-/

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Fri Aug 1 09:30:10 PDT 2003

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> To be honest, I don't really like the idea of bloating the
> DNS name space.  Maybe I misunderstood the suggestion, but

     Agreed!

> That way, every mirror -- no matter whether primary or
> secondary (or not even an official one) -- would carry
> a file describing all official mirrors of FreeBSD.

> The survey could also be automatically converted to some
> HTML table and put on the web site.  A "README" file on
> the FTP servers should point to that URL, so users can
> find out where to get the ISOs (or whatever) that they
> want, if they can't get them on the server they're on.

     I like this!!!

> All of that might sound complicated, but it really isn't
> that bad.  The collector can be a small shell script using
> /usr/bin/fetch or automated ncftp.  The extension to
> sysinstall shouldn't be too difficult either.  I would be
> willing to work on the collector thing at least, and maybe
> also on the sysinstall part (if time permits).

     You should not need to get the files, only list them.  Wouldn't
this be much easier in perl?

> The advantage would be that there is no need to change the
> DNS structure, and mirror maintainers would not have to do
> anything special, except for syncing that mirror-info file
> once per day (unless they're syncing everything daily
> anyway).  Once the collector mechanism is in place, no
> additional maintenance would be necessary.

     And this would allow the "tier 3" mirrors...

                                         Jonny

João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny at jonny.eng.br
--
"the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized