Please mark 4.8 directories unreadable.

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 2 22:31:37 PST 2003

If memory serves me right, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
> > We found a problem and changes will be made.  Please mark the 4.8 bits
> > unreadable so no one else starts downloading them before everything is
> > ready.  Sorry for the trouble.
>
> Please tell us two things:
>
>  a) the exact directories and/or file names

/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.8-RELEASE

I think these directory has already been made unreadable on ftp-master.

>  b) a little bit of explanation which lets us slave machine men think we
>     were part of an intelligent species.

The base system needs to be re-rolled.  Please see a post I made to
stable@ earlier today with the subject "4.8-RELEASE status"...it has
more details on what the problems were.  murray has a release build in
progress now; we hope that this should solve these issues.  You can
expect a notification on this list when the bits make it to
ftp-master, as usual.

Sorry for the extra effort required on this release...as always,
thanks for your help with distributing FreeBSD!

Bruce.