Problem with SATA-600 (a.k.a. SATA 3) disk

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sat Apr 16 13:10:23 UTC 2011

dieterbsd at engineer.com wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme writes:
 > > ahcich3: Timeout on slot 0
 > >
 > > Is there a way to force FreeBSD to use SATA-300 only?
 > > I've searched the mailing lists, but without results.
 >
 > man ahci says:
 >
 >   The following tunables are settable from the loader(8):
 >
 >      hint.ahcich.X.sata_rev
 >       setting to nonzero value limits maximum SATA revision (speed).
 >       Values 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps.

Thank you.  That works indeed.  *sigh*  I spent considerable
time searching the lists and google, but somehow I missed
that part in the ahci manpage ...

The only problem left is that I have to reboot when I want
to connect a device that can really support SATA-600.
But I can live with that.

Best regards
   Oliver

"People still program in C.  People keep writing shell scripts.  *Most*
people don't realize the shortcomings of the tools they are using because
they a) don't reflect on their workflows and they are b) too lazy to check
out alternatives to realize there is help." -- Simon 'corecode' Schubert