Add more HDDs to system based on ICH10R: PICe SATA controller vs SATA port muiltiplier

Mike Andrews mandrews at bit0.com
Wed May 12 19:19:41 UTC 2010

On 5/12/2010 2:24 PM, Andre Wensing wrote:
> For what i've read so far: there's a Supermicro card that seems to work,
> but it's apparently a reversed card of some sort. That is the one of the
> few non-RAID card that is supported under FreeBSD besides some
> Sil-chipset-based ones.

You're probably talking about Supermicro's "UIO" card, which is a PCI-E
card with the bracket mounted backwards.  The normal non-reversed
version of that is the LSI SAS 3081E-R and 3041E-R.  There's two sets of
firmware, one that does really minimalist RAID, and one that's just a
straight-up host adapter.  Either way, it uses the mpt driver.

I remember the 3081E-R was once right around $200 but I can't find it
that cheap anymore, maybe because the 6Gbit LSI 9211 line came out to
replace it... which IS still under $300 but I don't know if FreeBSD
supports it.