Add more HDDs to system based on ICH10R: PICe SATA controller vs SATA port muiltiplier

Andre Wensing andre at wensing.org
Wed May 12 18:41:49 UTC 2010

For what i've read so far: there's a Supermicro card that seems to work,
  but it's apparently a reversed card of some sort. That is the one of
the few non-RAID card that is supported under FreeBSD besides some
Sil-chipset-based ones.

The Adaptec ASC-1405 (and Areca's 1300i as well) are both non-RAID cards
based on Marvell's 88SE6440-chip, but there is no driver-support for
these cards. I have the Adaptec-card, and am hoping that this chip will
get support in FreeBSD. Areca has put on their website that the driver
for FreeBSD will be made available somewehere in Q1/Q2 of 2010 (just
like Adaptec, they claim FreeBSD-support on the box and in their
marketing but haven't got a driver, although the card has some support
from the Linux-community).

I haven't found any decent card yet with more than 2 SATA-ports that
have FreeBSD-support that aren't RAID-cards (at least in NL)