freebsd-8 support for dell R710 SATA raid-0

John comp.john at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 00:59:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:37:58PM +0000, Varan Okul wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I suggest you try these scenario first.
>
>    1st - At RAID controller BIOS.
>         Create 1 small logical drive for FreeBSD installation.
>         The rest space from RAID0, just create 2TB for each logical drive.
>
>    2nd - Boot with FreeBSD installation CD/DVD
>         Lets see FreeBSD bootable CD/DVD can see the small logical drive
>    created, or not?
>
>    If this not work, may be the RAID controller is too new for this FreeBSD
>    version.
>    The CD/DVD doesn't have driver for it inside.
>    You may need to change to older RAID controller, or move to newer FreeBSD
>    version.

Hi, thanks for your input.

I have an idea. Would the answer be to install the OS to a SD card, boot
from that then use GPT or ZFS to see the drive once the OS is installed?

What i mean is, the disks are attached to the SATA raid card. if I don't
select any disks in the raid, will they be seen by the OS? then I could
just use zfs for raid functionality.

Freebsd 8 sees the card, just not the disks. The server has a sd slot.
Maybe this is what it's for?
--
John - comp dot john at googlemail dot com
OpenBSD firewall | FreeBSD desktop | Ubuntu Karmic laptop