System hangs during heavy sequential write to mfi device

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 28 18:18:48 UTC 2010

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/e39529013_s5520hc_s5500hcv_s5520hct_tps_r1_9.pdf)

> >> Per BIOS setup documentation:
> >>
> >> On SERR, generate an NMI and log an error.
> >> Note: [Enabled] must be selected for the Assert NMI
> >> on PERR setup option to be visible.
> >>
> >> and:
> >>
> >> On PERR, generate an NMI and log an error.
> >> Note: This option is only active if the Assert NMI on
> >> SERR option is [Enabled] selected.
> >>
> >> However, disabling them did not change anything.
> >>

> > Is it still logging errors and sending NMIs with them disabled?
> >
> with the options I mentioned disabled. They do not have to be the only
> sources of NMIs, do they?

Well, they should be the sources of the log messages you found in your system
event log.  There is a good chance that you have some broken hardware
somewhere, I'm not sure how easy it is for you to debug that via swapping out
components, but the RAID controller is the first thing I would try.

--
John Baldwin