System hangs during heavy sequential write to mfi device

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 25 17:03:49 UTC 2010

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/e68105004_msu_s5520hc_s5500hcv_july_09.pdf
> says something about these messages, but in the context completely
> unrelated to my case.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hmmm.  You might have a hardware issue.  OTOH, you can try seeing if you have
a BIOS option to disable PCIE error logging.  If so, turning it off may fix
your hangs since as the act of writing the entry to the system event log can
take several hundred milliseconds on some machines causing a hang of sorts.
If you still get hangs with the option turned off then it seems you have some
sort of hardware issue, possibly in the mfi(4) adapter or mainboard.

--
John Baldwin