I would like to buy a Hewlett-Packard laptop (with Intel CPU) with BSD as an OS; AND...

compcent at mail.com compcent at mail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:28:21 UTC 2010

Hello FreeBSD Hardware -

I would like to buy a Hewlett-Packard laptop (with Intel CPU) with BSD as an OS; AND that is compatible
with a Verizon Air Card (USB port) for internet access.

Several years ago, I tried to install FreeBSD from downloaded discs onto a PC.  Later, I bought
the FreeBSD 5.2.1 ? software, and tried to load in on a PC.  It booted, but didn't work.

Best Buy’s “Geek Squad” doesn't want to get involved with a FreeBSD install.  I will call Fry's.

1.  If anyone is using FreeBSD on a HP / Intel laptop, what is the Model No. of your HP laptop, and what version of BSD are you using?   I would hope that there is a newer model that is still for sale.

2.  Better yet, - Who can configure an HP / Intel laptop w/ BSD for sale?  ( further discussion required... )
     Would consider used / refurbished if dependable & the price is right.

 - Compatible with Verizon Air Card preferred / required; AND needs Wi-Fi
 - Prefer DVD player / CD-ROM burner
 - A couple of USB ports
 - Simple desktop / simple text menu ok
 - Web browser, prefer Opera
 - Word processor - prefer WordPerfect - 5.1 compatible , and/or newer WP;
     or, a BSD word processor with macros // Open Office as last resort
 - GIMP for graphics, works for me
 - Optional - HTML Web editor - shareware or inexpensive
 - A (non-MS) DOS partition on the hard drive - optional
 - Restore / start-up disc, and an image-shot of the hard drive
 - Program to read / make .pdf files -  (One poster suggested alternative to Adobe...??)
 - Basic speaker
 - Best virus / maleware protection (suggestions)
 - Laptop Owner's manual - optional

FYI - I live in Sacramento, CA USA area.  I expect to be in San Francisco, - this Saturday, Jan 23, 2010.
Are there any good BSD techs / computer shops in the Sacramento area; or in the SF Bay area?

** Thanks for any suggestions / info!

compcent at mail.com

 = = = =

=