Building a file server for home
dan at langille.org
Mon Feb 15 17:16:44 UTC 2010
Dan Langille wrote:
> This is a continuation of a post I started in -stable.
> I'm going to be running FreeBSD 8.x with RAIDZ. Most of what I've
> decided upon / has been suggested is at
> In short, I'm pretty much decided upon this case:
> * Athena Power CA-SWH01BH8 Pedestal case
> * http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192058
> * contains 2 SATAx4 Hot-Swap HDD bays
> * sounds like good value for a case with hot swap
> * got a better case?
> Various suggestions have been made for the motherboard and HDD. I'm
> asking you folks for suggestions based on what you know.
> Here's the list of items to be selected, but feel free to suggest stuff
> not listed:
> * mother board
> * power supply
> * hard drives
> * RAM
> * perhaps a caching SSD
> If the motherboard lacks the SATA connections, I'm probably going to use
> the Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008:
I recently posted the following to the thread in -stable:
I was recently told about Lian Lia cases, which I think are great. As a
result, I've gone with a tower case without hot-swap. The parts are
listed at and reproduced below:
1. LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $240
2. Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU $80
3. Samsung SATA CD/DVD Burner $20 (+ $8 shipping)
4. Intel S3200SHV LGA 775 Intel 3200 m/b $200
5. Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 CPU $190
6. SATA cables $22
7. Supermicro LSI MegaRAID 8 Port SAS RAID Controller $118
8. Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC $97
Total cost is about $1020 with shipping. Plus HDD.
No purchases yet, but the above is what appeals to me now.
More information about the freebsd-hardware