FreeBSD 8.0, Intel Xeon E5530, Dell R410, only 2 cores available

Hoang V.D. | Creative Solutions GmbH hoang.v.d at creativesolutions.at
Mon Feb 1 17:25:50 UTC 2010

I would like to thanks both of you John and Ivan for your assistance. We think
we have found out the cause of the problem now, this thread from Dell's "Linux
PowerEdge" list probably explained it:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2010-January/041159.html

For some weird reason Dell decided to turn off two cores per CPU by default (not
HT but real cores) for those servers. We will ask the datacenter guys to look at
that specific BIOS option tomorrow and fix it.

Again, many thanks from happy FreeBSD users :-)

Best regards,
Hoang