VIA Fire II Firewire Card

Martin Gross martgross42 at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 19 13:53:16 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I got myself a Firewire Card (PCMCIA) with the mentioned VIA Fire II chipset. According to the manpage this chip is supported by Freebsd. However, when i plug in the card, syslog tells me the following:

fwohci0: <VIA Fire II (VT6306)> port 0x1080-0x10ff mem 0xbfed0000-0xbfed07ff,0xbfed1000-0xbfed10ff irq 16 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
fwohci0: [ITHREAD]
fwohci0: OHCI version 0.0 (ROM=0)
fwohci0: invalid OHCI version
fwohci0: fwohci_init failed with err=6
device_attach: fwohci0 attach returned 5

This was reproduceable with 9.0-current and 8.1-release.

Also tested the card under windows and linux, there it worked, so I can rule out that the card is broken. Linux tells me that the OHCI version is 1.10 which sounds a bit more reasonable.

I'll provide dumps / traces or what ever is necessary to debug this. I'm thankful for every hint.

thx
Martin