Spin down HDD after disk sync or before power off

Octavian Covalschi octavian.covalschi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:10:42 PST 2009

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to spin down HDD before it is powered off?

My problem/concern is that when I call "shutdown -p now", the HDD is powered
off at it's _full_ speed
and as a result I hear a noise, which really concerns me. I'm afraid that
this kind of shutdown  will damage HDD.

It's a new HDD, it works fine in Windows, I mean it shuts down w/o this
noise.

What I need(at least think I do) is to spin down or put into sleep mode HDD
right before system will be powered off.

I've tried to use atacontrol spindown but sync-ing disks wakes HDD again. I
also tried  ataidle -s my_dev
which puts hdd into sleep mode, but again, same result, when it syncs disks
it HDD is waken...

Are there any solutions?

Thank you in advance.