Adaptec RAID 5405 issues

Jason jhelfman at e-e.com
Thu Jun 11 17:40:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0 and am receiving fatal errors that hang
the system.

aacu0: COMMAND xxx TIMEOUT AFTER xxx SECONDS

After seeing this error with the GENERIC kernel I re-compiled, per the aac
man page, the kernel with debugging and received these errors.

g_vfs_done():aacdu0s1d[WRITE(offset=xxx, length=xxx)]error = 5

The machine(s) at this point in not accessible in any sense.

Is anyone else receiving errors like this?

I opened a ticket with Adaptec, but they are interested in having a "Support
Archive" attached to our ticket, however I have no idea how to get this on
FreeBSD.

Are there any Adaptec utilities that would get this information? I don't know
if the aacconf utility would do this or not.

Thanks,
Jason