USB read errors on Dell 1650 with 7.2

WKK wkk at wkk.com
Thu Jul 2 19:05:19 UTC 2009

I have been using 5.x for years on a Dell 1650. I tried to upgrade to
6.x and gave up a few years ago. I just tried 7.2 Release.
It installs OK but I’m having the same trouble with bad reads from a USB
memory stick. If I copy a large tar file from a UFS memory stick
(mount –o ro,noatime ...), the check sum is different every time I do a
copy.
Sometime I get g_vfs_done error = 5, other times it seems to work with
the correct size but the destination has the wrong check sum.

I’ve seen endless postings with g_vfs_done error reports.
The copy works fine on another non-Dell system with 7.2 and nothing
looks odd in dmesg. Is there something odd about USB on a Dell 1650? dd
if=/dev/da0 even gives different sums. Any ideas?