Apple Powerbook G4 and some modem doubts

Israel Miranda programadorlinux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 01:30:01 UTC 2009

I used Debian for a long time too. I started to get frustrated with debian
when I was compiling many packages from source in experimental, debian
source tools are not so good as the binary tools, and I always was curious
about BSD's system and the source approach so I decided to migrate. I am
aware that I may have more compatibility and software available with linux,
but I want to avoid that at all costs. I already installed freebsd in my
desktop x-86 machine and I decided to use my agere based modem. I have a
promotion that I get some credits for using dial-up connections for some
ISP, so once in a while I connect just for these credits, because I have a
DSL connection, so it is not so mandatory that I have it working.

I am having problem installing openbsd in my powerbook, the boot cd I starts
configuration of my system time to the beggining of the UNIX era lol
I tried openbsd 4.4, 4.3, 4.1, 3.9, 3.6 and no success
My powerbook is the 5,9 the last model realeased and I searched the web a
lot about it with no luck. The only reference I found was about some people
with the same problem
http://www.archivesat.com/OpenBSD_PowerPC_port/thread3963726.htm
I'll try to contact him and ask for help in the openbsd list.
I didn't try the freebsd in my powerbook because it has no driver for my
wireless card, so I will keep looking for a solution to install openbsd
but for the time I am just configuring and studying freebsd in my x-86
machine.