Can you recommend a scanner for normal use?

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Wed Dec 9 09:00:03 UTC 2009

Hello list.

I've used a friends Epson Perfection 2450 scanner with sane with good
results. Unfortunately the scanner has broken down and I'm looking for a
new scanner.

I'm often scanning invoices, this is my main use at the moment. I do
scan pictures as well and I have a plan to scan all my negatives to have
them digitally to preserve quality. I'm open to any suggestions of brand
and function. I focus on Epson because I'm currently of the opinion that
it's good value for the money

The 2450 is not in the market any longer so a new model must be chosen.
The 4990 would be nice but I can't find it at my dealer. The 4490 can be
found but it's not supported by SANE!

I can see that the Epson Perfection V700 Photo and Epson Perfection V750
Photo has good support in SANE. But it's not described what's not working?

How about the Epson Perfection V500 Photo and Epson Perfection V600 Photo?

I've asked this on the sane mailing list but I got no answers. I hope
that someone here will suggest a good solution that works well on FreeBSD.

Any feedback welcome. Thank you :-)

/Leslie