[if_re.c] INTEL mini/itx DE945GSEJT

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:36:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 01:13:57AM +0200, Frank Reppin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just purchased the above mentioned board:
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GSEJT/D945GSEJT-overview.htm
>
> and this board claims to come with a so called:
>
>   Realtek 8111D
>
> network (10/100/1000m) chipset onboard.
>
> Digging in -current and google.com/ncr revealed that this certain
> board/nic seems to be not supported by the -CURRENT- if_re.c provided
> by FreeBSD. Some further investigations reveals that OpenBSD claims to
> support this (most prolly) precious chipset (8111D) within their 4.5
> release:
>
>   http://www.openbsd.org/45.html
>   (searching for 8111D will point you to re(4))
>
> My question(s) is(are):
>
>   a) does anyone run this board without flaws on fbsd-current
>      with its intergrated 8111D NIC

re(4) man page requires major update for its supported chipsets
and features. All known RealTek PCIe wired controllers(up to 8168D)
should be supported.

>      ( my 'failover' option is to run this board using xl thanks to
>        it's pci slot)
>
>   b) if a) doesn't apply - how did you get it working on current/stable
>      without another driver
>
>   c) OpenBSD mentions this one ( 8111D support ) in their release notes
>      for a _stable_ version ( 4.5 )- but I cannot even see support for
>      this specific device in FreeBSD trunk/head
>
>   d) realtek itself does provide drivers for even FreeBSD (sources)...
>      ... are there any experiences using those drivers

Vendor's FreeBSD driver lacks a lot of nice hardware features and
its performance is suboptimal. Use it only when you have no choice
for your controller.