kern/127391: [ata] Intel 6300ESB SATA150 cannot find disk and boot under 6.3 [regression]

Michael Scheidell scheidell at secnap.net
Tue Oct 21 14:36:10 UTC 2008

More information:

I have a dmidecode, dmesg.boot and pciconf from
A) old dell 750 (using a 6.3 kernel that we got to work by accident,
don't remember how)
B) new dell 750 that will boot anything.

Biggest different seems to be a different motherboard.
new one doesn't have an acpi apci bios, has a dual core cpu, old one has
hyperthread cpu.

I can build any kernel I want on the newer dell 750, it will boot just
about anything.
three different kernels that booted on new dell won't boot on old one.

kernel that boots on old one, will boot on new one.

I will upload.

as a reminder, all systems, up and including freebsd 5.5 and 6.2 booted
on all of these.
A 'fix' somewhere in 6.3 broke the pci bridge? sata controller? disk init?

7.0 didn't fix it either, so whatever was changed was changed in 7.0 also.

another reminder, and explanation.

Several months ago, when investigating this, looking at a lot of
problems documented and found by google, one of our techs came across a
fix.  we have a 6.3 kernel with that fix it it, but tech did not
document it, and we have not been able to find fix or reproduce fix.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008
    * Information Security Award 2008, Info Security Products Guide
    * CRN Magazine Top 40 Emerging Security Vendors